As important as it is to make your biannual checkups with your affordable dentist in 77429, you can increase the benefits you receive from your appointment by bringing with you a check-list of questions or concerns you may have. Seeing your dentist only twice a year means your time to discuss oral health is necessarily limited, so it’s a good idea to make the most of the time you have. It’s also an excellent idea to establish a good strong open line of communication to ensure you and your dentist can manage any dental issue.
You will naturally want to prepare your list based on the dental issues you are experiencing or questions you may have, but below are some general ideas to help you get started. Include these questions for your affordable dentist in 77429 if you like, but be sure also to include any problems or issues you’d like to discuss that are not included below.
- Oral Hygiene Practices at Home. It’s almost always a good idea to discuss the ways you and your family can improve the management of oral hygiene at home. What are the best brushing and flossing techniques? Is a power toothbrush better than a manual? Should I use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash? What is the best diet for healthy teeth? These are just a few of the questions you may want to raise with your affordable dentist in 77429.
- Health of Your Gums. If your gum bleeds when you brush, this could be an early sign of gum disease. Be sure to point out any gum problems you may be experiencing to your dentist. Examination of your gums is part of your checkup, but it’s still a good idea to note any issues. Your dentist will examine your gums and recommend a treatment plan if appropriate.
- Fillings. For many years it was standard dental practice to fill people’s cavities with amalgam, a mixture of metals including mercury. As more data has become available, some dentists are concerned the mercury in amalgams is not healthy. If you have amalgam fillings, you should discuss alternatives with your affordable dentist in 77429.
- Stained Teeth. Many people’s teeth will stain as a result of drinking or eating certain foods such as wines, coffee, or highly acidic fruits such as lemons. If you are concerned about your teeth’s color, be certain to include a question about teeth whitening on your check-list. Your affordable dentist in 77429 will be happy to discuss the various options available to give you a bright new smile.
- Tooth or Jaw Pain / Mouth Sores. Tooth pain, sores in the mouth that won’t heal, or jaw or neck pains should always be mentioned to your dentist. Be sure to include questions concerning any of these conditions on your checklist. Pain or sores may indicate serious underlying problems which may require treatment. The dentists at Village Park Dental will conduct the needed exams and develop a treatment plan if needed.
The dentists at Village Park Family Dental are here to help you achieve the best oral health possible. Your biannual checkup is part of an overall health maintenance program to keep your teeth and gum in the best possible condition. You can assist your dentist by bringing a check-list of questions and concern to your next regularly scheduled checkup to ensure all issues are covered. If you haven’t scheduled your next appointment, give us a call today, 281-376-4444.